Thursday 10 February 2011

Kodachrome | When I look back

Mashable carried an article on 30th December, 2010 reporting that Kodachrome had been discontinued by it’s manufacturers Kodak.

No surprise really as Digital cameras are so dominant!

BUT, for me it reminded of a time in 1973, when I spent a weekend, with my wife, decorating a house that we had bought ready to move into, in the September.

We had taken a break, gone to town and I found a Compact Cassette of Paul Simon’s "There Goes Rhymin' Simon" which I duly purchased and played for the rest of the weekend.

The first track was Kodachrome and the lyrics unforgettable:

When I think back
on all the crap I learned in high school,
it's a wonder I can think at all
and though my lack of edu---cation
hasn't hurt me none
I can read the writing on the wall

Kodachrome:
They give us those nice bright colours.
They give us the greens of summers.
Makes you think all the world's a sunny day, oh yeah.
I got a Nikon camera.
I love to take a photograph,
so mama don't take my Kodachrome away

If you took all the girls I knew
when I was single
and brought them all together for one night.
I know they'd never match
my sweet imagination
and everything looks worse in black and white.

Kodachrome:
They give us those nice bright colours,
they give us the greens of summers
makes you think all the world's a sunny day, oh yeah.
I got a Nikon camera
I love to take a photograph
So mama don't take my Kodachrome away

Words & music by Paul Simon

Kodachrome was introduced by Kodak in 1935 and was the first commercially successful colour film and my choice over the years that I used film.

When I look back ……….. fondly!

sources Mashable, Wikipedia and You Tube

No comments:

Post a Comment