“Success is dependent on effort”
- One of three Greek playwrights, who wrote tragedies, whose plays have survived
- The Suda, a 10th century encyclopaedia, states that Sophocles wrote 123 plays during his life, but only seven have survived intact:
Ajax, Antigone, Trachinian Women, Oedipus the King, Electra, Philoctetes and Oedipus at Colonus.
- Sophocles was the most celebrated playwright in the dramatic competitions of Athens, For almost 50 years
- He is reported as winning 24 of approximately 30 competitions never came lower than second.
- Sophocles has a crater on the surface of Mercury named after him.